Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Looking for spring!

I'm really looking forward to this conference, and this anticipation is heightened knowing that I will meet people face-to-face that I feel have I come to know through the B4B group. This will be my first TESOL conference--it's almost in my own backyard (relatively speaking, as it's only one time zone away), and I've always wanted to visit Seattle. I've driven through there on the freeway before--Washington State is beautiful, and the coastline is fantastic--but never before had a chance to see the city.

I expect to be overwhelmed by the number of people at this conference; my previous conference experiences have all been in Canada, and even the TESL Canada conferences are not that big.

It will also be my first conference in a long time where I'm not performing! I thought to absorb as much as possible this time around, and find my proverbial feet in this big organization. It will be a more relaxing experience not presenting anything. To start off the right way, I'm taking the tour of Seattle on the Wednesday.

I'm also looking forward to warmer weather and signs of spring.

Are you all staying in the downtown area in the conference hotels? I'm booked into the Crowne Plaza, and I'll arrive on the Tuesday afternoon.

We should have a countdown widget on the sidebar. So many sleeps till Seattle!

13 comments:

Nina Liakos said...

Veronica, where do you live? Speaking of widgets, I tried to add a clock widget (set to PST) to the sidebar but couldn't find my own in the html template. The nice new "add a page element" does not apparently consider clocks to be a normal page element, and it did not work as a picture, either. Maybe somebody else can figure out how to do it! I wonder, can guest authors put stuff in the sidebar, or only administrators? If it's possible, you are all welcome to add widgets and links and stuff.

Veronica Baig said...

Hi Nina:

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. We have so much snow right now ... It's been a bad winter. You're on the east coast, right?

A few years back now, I and my husband had a great camping trip to the Olympic Peninsula in June. It was a wonderful experience.

If I have time, I'll see if I can add a widget to the sidebar. However, my experience with widgets so far has been very "iffy".

testecarla said...

Dear Veronica,

Erika and I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza, too! So it will be great to meet you there.

Beijos,
Carla

Nina Lyulkun said...

Dear girls,

I wish you to have fun and enjoy your staying in Seattle.

We are looking forward to seeing you online.

{{{{{{{WARM HUG}}}}}}

Nina Lyulkun

Dennis said...

Hi to Nina, Veronica, and everyone.

TESOL in Seattle should be a wonderful experience. I have fond memories of attending the 1998 conference there, especially of taking part in a colloquium that I organized. You can see a photo of most of the participants in the colloquium on the photo page of Dr. Vera Lúcia Menezes de Oliveira e Paiva (Vera Menezes) of the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais in Brazil; Vera was also in the colloquium. Here's the URL:

http://www.veramenezes.com/sperling.htm

Ruth Vilmi and Dave Sperling were also part of the group. We celebrated Dave's birthday together!

Have a wonderful time in Seattle!

Dennis (in Phoenix)

Veronica Baig said...

Hi Carla and Erica:

I arrive on the Tuesday afternoon; when do you get in?

Looking forward to meeting you both.

Veronica

Daf said...

Dennis, I was in the 1998 TESOL convention in Seattle, a pity I did not get to meet you then :-(

Btw, Seattle is especially beautiful in the Spring :-)

hugs,

Daf

Dennis said...

Hola, Dafne.

Yes, it's definitely a pity we didn't meet at TESOL in Seattle in 1998! I have very good memories of the event, but they would be even better if you and I had met!

Were you at TESOL in Vancouver, BC in 2000? I think that's where I first heard of the Webheads.

Enjoy Seattle this year!

Muchos abrazos!

Dennis

Daf said...

Yes, Dennis, I was there!

I attended most TESOL conferences from 1991 to 2002.

Well, I hope we can meet f2f in the near future ;-)

warm hugs,

Daf

Dennis said...

Hi, Dafne.

It's very interesting that you and I have both been at a number of the same TESOL conferences but not met F2F.

I certainly hope we'll finally meet at TESOL in the near future! Ojalá que sí!

Abrazos muy fuertes--

Dennis

Erika Cruvinel said...

Veronica, my YM chat friend! It will be so fun to stay at the same hotel as you! Isn't this world getting smaller and smaller?

Erika Cruvinel said...

Veronica, I arrive on Tuesday noon and Carla arrives at 2:15. I'm going to meet her there and we will take the Downtown Aiporter transportation to the Crowne Plaza.
Look for two crazy ladies speaking loudly!

Unknown said...

Hi Veronica,

William Eubank from MSU here at the INN at Queen Anne. Member of MITESOL and webmaster for MIDTESOL. Looking forward to meeting you all.

William